Our new rig

Last Thursday we went to Medemblik to Varuna. We wanted to come there in the eveninng to test all the new mast LED lights after our mast had been refitted. All worked well.

We brought the cats with us, and they adjusted well. I am not sure they loved it, but I think, if we are happy and calm, they will be too. They stay down below, and are not interested in moving around in the cockpit or on deck. We let them take their time.

On Friday we went through everything the riggers had been working on.

We have new standing and running rigging. That feels very good, safe and secure. We have installed a removable inner forestay, jacklines, a radar reflector. A couple of mast steps at the top of the mast.

We have a whisker pole and a permanent preventer mounted on the boom. The gas spring in the rod kick has been replaced snd the electric furler for the main sail has been serviced. We are very happy with all of the wirk Rake Rigging have done.

Advertisements

Glass cabinet

We used to have a TV installed in one of the cupboards in the salon on our boat. Since we don’t watch TV, and could not really see a purpose in keeping it we took it out of there. And while this could be another great storage compartment, I felt I wanted to do something special with it. We had some wine glasses and dessert wine glasses on the boat already from the previous owner, and they were kept in their original cardboard box. Then we were gifted with these beautiful Hallberg Rassy cups, that we just could not keep in the regular galley storage.

My (Eva’s) second cousin who previously owned a Hallberg Rassy gave these nice cups to us. They are no longer in production.

We basically needed a special cabinet for our fancy stuff. So we installed a light that comes on then the cabinet door opens and two shelves from plexigalss which we cut holes in, in sizes to fit whatever we wanted to put in there. It turned out pretty good we think and it is a pleasure to open it and be able to use these nice items to make it feel more like our home.

This is the final result.

Safety first

We have four fire extinguishers onboard. One in the forward cabin, one in the salon, one in the owner’s cabin, and one in the cockpit. They are most likely from 2005, when our boat was built, and we did not feel they are reliable anymore. So we decided to change them all. They are all powder extinguishers, and although that causes major mess if used, that is what it needs to be on a boat.

2 kg fire extinguishers

We also installed 4 smoke detectors, since there were none before. One is in the forward cabin, one in the engine room, one in the slaon, and one in the owner’s cabin.

In the galley we have a fire blanket.

We just hope we never have to use them!

Hull

We have put in some extra work on the hull the past few weeks. We scraped off part of the old antifouling, sanded it for a smooth surface and put a layer of primer Seajet 017 on the hull.

Painting primer Seajet 017

Then we painted the hull with 3 layers of antifouling Seajet 023. That is what is allowed to be used in the waters around the Netherlands. It was a lot of hard work but feels so good now that it is done.

First layer of anti fouling we did red, the next 2 layers were blue.

Here the second layer is half done.

We cleaned and polished the hull. I (Eva) really dreaded doing that, since I did that on my own. My frozen shoulder wasn’t looking forward to holding a polishing machine for several hours. But it went much better and faster than expected. The weather was nice and “almost” warm that day, so now that is super shiny! Polishing the deck we’ll do later when the boat is in the water.

 

We have changed the stoppers on the gori propeller. Removing them was no problem, but putting the new back was a lot trickier! We tried several times before we finally put the rubber stoppers in hot water to make them more workable, and then it was quite easy to put them in place.

We have moved the propeller shaft a little more aft to make room for a rope cutter. It has been attached.

The shiny new rope cutter

Work during winter

This past winter when our boat has been on the hard, we have of course missed sailing, but it is really good to be able to do some needed work. Since our mast has been taken off we went to service the 2 winches on the mast, which we feel is much easier when the mast is down. They were not as bad as the ones in the cockpit, but yes, it was needed! We also cleaned the whole mast to give it a good protection for the coming years.

It is a loooong mast!

Greasing the winch

Engine upgrade

I spent the whole day of yesterday on the boat. We had two service engineers from Marine Service Loosdrecht there to help us with some things. Our turbo was completed corroded and had to be changed. We moved the shaft aft so we can put a rope cutter on it. We installed a new diesel filter. And we had a pump installed for getting water out of the diesel tank.

At this time of the year it is so cold to be there. We have a small heater, but it is so old that it quit working yesterday. So we started the diesel heater and it got warm in no time! Very comfortable. I am surprised that it does not feel humid onboard in spite of the wet weather it is in the Netherlands all winter.

In the meantime I had some smamler jobs I wanted to do. We have a cupboard in the salon where the previous owner had a TV. We never used it and sold it, so we will make a glass cabinet for our wine glasses, and nice cups. So yesterday I installed a LED light that turns on when the cabinet door opens. I will also make plexi glass shelves and install.

skåp1

I am also working on dividers for the drawers in the galley drawers. I cut all parts out and assembled them and have started to varnish them.

That is it for now!